I have not blogged in a really long time, so I am going to start reading James, and I will post some things I read. I will also be reading the Barclay commentary on James.
James 1:1-
James, the slave of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, sends greetings to the twelve tribes who are scattered throughout the world.
In the beginning of the verse it says that James is "the slave of God."
the definition of slave is "one that is completely subservient (obviously submissive) to a dominating influence" so he is saying he is completely obedient to God.
The commentary breaks down the word "slave". In Jame's language the word for slave at that time was "doulos" which means had a sense of pride about being Gods slave/doulos. Along with being fully obedient, humble and loyal to Him.
So James was a sold out follower of God, he showed that in the very first verse. If we are supposed to be Gods "doulos" we should be obviously submissive to His will. Also we should have a sense of pride that we are Christians.
I do not feel like right now I could say "Samuel the slave of Christ," because I am not obviously submissive to God, and I struggle with having a sense of pride that I am a Christian. For me to apply this verse I have to not only know what God commands of me, but actually live it out.
James 1:2-4
James never suggested that Christianity would be an easy way to live your life.
James 2-3 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.
So James is telling his readers that they will experience trials, or "periasmos" which is not necessarily temptation, it is more like testing to achieve a goal, for example: training for a marathon.
In the commentary it says-
"The steadfastness you will achieve will make you-
1. Perfect/finished
2. Complete
3. Deficient in nothing."
A trial for me is to have a good attitude even if I am feeling put out for whatever reason. for example, when I have to do chores in the morning. And pretty much whenever I have to do something I do not want to do, like going grocery shopping, or going somewhere I do not want to go, or mowing the lawn. Including me being to lazy to even put a post on my blog!
If we deal with trials in the right way, it will produce perseverance, or steadfastness in our life.
No comments:
Post a Comment